La Serenissima: an on-site art seminar in Venice, Italy, with Giulia Bernardini, 2022
La Serenissima 2022 details and cost:
- Put your comfy shoes to good use as we visit, among numerous other sites, the Ducal Palace, St. Mark’s Basilica, the Academy, the churches of Santa Maria Gloriosa dei Frari, la Salute, and il Redentore, the Correr and Querini Stampalia museums, and ferry off to Torcello and Burano to see where the earliest lagoon dwellers put down roots. See the mouth-watering itinerary
- Stay at the award-winning, centrally-located privately run hotel, Locanda San Barnaba, housed in a 16th-century private palace and have breakfast in its lovely courtyard garden
- Enjoy free time with the help of recommended food, shopping, gelato, and further art options all hand-picked for you by Giulia
- Explore literature made available to you online to expand your understanding of the art and architecture you will encounter
- Share the experience with a small, select group of like-minded explorers (maximum of ten people)
- Prices forthcoming (check back in August 2021) – subscribe to the newsletter to get updates from Giulia
La Serenissima seminar description:
For seven rich and stimulating, art-, food-, and conversation-filled days, we will visit major and hidden sites of The Most Serene Republic past and present. We will learn how this republic rose from modest origins as a community of fishermen and salt harvesters to command the seas of the Mediterranean, bringing Constantinople to its knees and importing silks, spices, art and ideas to an astonished, comparatively backward Europe.
We will see how for centuries la Serenissima worked tirelessly to build its own myth of unsurpassable wealth, prosperity, and sophistication. Its shrewd – perhaps even cynical – political system and lay religious organizations ensured that citizens and outsiders alike felt allegiance to the Republic, thus keeping it safe from dissidents. This will become clear to us through the dazzling Byzantine mosaics of Saint Mark’s Basilica, the sumptuous allegorical ceiling and wall paintings of the Ducal Palace, and the endless masterpieces in the Academy, in churches, private collections, and museums by the Bellinis, Carpaccio, Titian, Veronese, Tintoretto, and Tiepolo, to name but a few.
At the same time, we will investigate how the twenty-first century city lives with this illustrious past and fights to be more than an artistic theme park for the throngs of foreigners who descend upon it yearly. For this reason, we will immerse ourselves for three times the average number of days spent by most visitors. This will allow us to become acquainted with hidden histories, less known neighborhoods, and the musicians, artisans, and artists whose voices and work keep this city at the forefront of contemporary culture.
All of this art and culture will be accompanied by generous glasses of prosecco taken in local haunts and tranquil campi (squares), meals at modest osterie and in the elegant gardens of hidden ristoranti and even a cooking class in a private venue.
Join us for this unmissable experience. Contact Giulia to book your place and for more information at [email protected] or click on ‘Contact Us’ below.
I look forward to seeing you at the banquet!