The City and Campania: an on-site art seminar in Naples, Italy, with Giulia Bernardini (May 21-29, 2023)
- Join Giulia for a brand new seminar featuring in-depth explorations of the stunning, under-explored city of Naples and surrounding region of Campania. For eight days, we will feast on world-class museums like the famed Museo Archeologico Nazionale and Capodiomonte and visit astounding archeological sites including Pausilypon and Pompeii, discover Renaissance and Baroque churches bursting with treasure, and sample gastronomic delights from street food vendors to traditional osterie and innovative Michelin-starred restaurants. We will break up our Neapolitan adventure with a two-night stay on the picturesque island of Procida, from which we’ll sail to neighboring Ischia for a cooking class in a private home and to visit the island’s astonishing castle. Views of the Bay of Naples and monumental Mount Vesuvius will abound and provide exquisite backdrops to innumerable aperitivi. Click here for the full itinerary
- Stay at the intimate Caruso Place Boutique & Wellness Suites, centrally located on Naples’ bustling via Toledo shopping street and spend two night on the island of Procida at family-run Casa Sul Faro with its relaxing garden
- Enjoy free time with the help of recommended food, shopping, gelato, and further art and cultural destinations all hand-picked for you by Giulia
- Explore optional literary and film recommendations culled by Giulia to expand your understanding of what you’ll see.
- Share the experience with a small, select group of like-minded explorers (maximum of ten people)
- Price per person (exchange rate of 12/23/2022, subject to fluctuation) – includes two nights on island of Procida
- Classic/Deluxe room double occupancy (220-260 sq ft, queen or twins): $4622 or $4522 if booked by January 31st
- Classic/Deluxe room single occupancy (220-260 sq ft, queen or twins): $5473 or $5373 if booked by January 31st
- Wellness Suite (features jacuzzi) or Balcony Suite double occupancy (365-380 sq ft, queen or twins): $4797 or $4697 if booked by January 31st
- Wellness Suite (features jacuzzi) or Balcony Suite single occupancy (365-380 sq ft, queen or twins): $5823 or $5723 if booked by January 31st
Seminar price includes: 8 days of art history tuition with Giulia and carefully-vetted local guides, accommodations and breakfast (unless opting out of accommodations at Caruso Place and Casa Sul Faro, Procida), entry tickets to scheduled museums and galleries, Arte Card for visiting scheduled and non-scheduled sites, two aperitivi and six meals (including a cooking class) at local restaurants and in private homes, 7-day public transport pass, private chartered boat tour of island of Procida, gratuities. Does not include: airfare, lunches and dinners not listed in itinerary, ground transportation to and from airport. Seminar itinerary subject to change at any time.
Naples: the City and Campania seminar description:
You are familiar with Rome, Florence, Venice but have you ever spent time in and around Naples? Find out what people are missing! Join Giulia for eight rich, art-, food-, and conversation-filled days, spent discovering sprawling museums filled with sparkling ancient mosaics and lifelike sculptures, glistening oil paintings by high Renaissance and Baroque artists including Caravaggio, Titian, Raphael, Mantegna, Parmigianino and many more. We’ll walk streets fronted by 17th-century palazzi and down gritty alleys like open-air galleries filled with street art and graffiti, we’ll eat rum baba and heavenly, light as a feather pizza, and we’ll sip drinks in leafy piazze and verdant island gardens.
Our adventure will focus primarily on the cosmopolitan port city of Naples, where we’ll learn about its ancient and varied, multi-cultural history, starting with the Greeks and Romans, through French Angevins and the Spanish Aragonese, the short-lived, locally-led Republic, and its years as a Bourbon capital in the 18th century. We’ll walk through maze-like streets lined with artisans and climb up to sprawling monasteries and castles overlooking the Bay and enjoy the vista over and over again, each time dutifully saluting the imposing Mount Vesuvius in the background.
A visit to Pompei will help us understand the richness of this land, which we’ll then see reflected in a vineyard where we’ll break for lunch. Our two-night stay on Procida, meanwhile, will give us a break from the visual, cultural, and gastronomic riches we’ll have been enjoying on the mainland and will help us unwind as we take a cooking class and take in new geographic and geological sights.
Join us for this unique, unforgettable experience. Contact Giulia to book your place and for more information at [email protected] or click on ‘Contact Us’ below.
I look forward to seeing you at the banquet!